Wednesday, January 20, 2010

coffee can crayons


I'm not sure why...but when I was little we always kept the 'old' crayons in a coffee can. I still do this.
Here's what the Mad Rosie and I did with our coffee can crayons...

1. Preheat your oven to 350.
Remove the paper wrapper from the crayons.
this can be a pain...and time consuming.
I used a craft knife to cut the wrappers, Maddie peeled them off.

2. Then we picked out colors that were similar or went well together.
(And we made a few that didn't go so well together too!)

3. We broke the crayons into pieces
and put them in a lined muffin pan.
*Be careful not to fill the cups to high.
You don't want the cups to overflow with hot wax.
That could be dangerous...and for sure a huge mess!

3. Place your crayons in the oven. Baking times will vary depending on the amount of crayons you use, your oven, blah...blah.Our crayons took about 7 minutes to fully melt.

4. Allow time for your crayons to cool completely before using.



There ya go! Super rad "new" crayons out of "old" crayons! yay!
Maddie is taking hers to school tomorrow! :)

xo-
miss anna

3 comments:

  1. i used to keep mine in a coffee can too. bad thing is...that smell of the coffee grinds have made me not like the smell of coffee...that and when i was a kid and we would go on road trips, we would have our can of crayons and the smell of my parents thermos of coffee. those 2 mixed are like nails on chalkboard inside my nostrils :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my! I am soooo laughing right now!
    "like nails on chalkboard inside my nostrils :)"
    that made my morning!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this is what you have been up to... How freaking sweet! My little ladies have so many colors. Which brings up a question. Do cheaper brands effect the turn out.

    ReplyDelete